The Pulse of SchoolCare, February 2021
Your Stay Active Winter Checklist
Published February 1, 2021
Leaving the warmth of your house to venture into a chilly day isn’t everyone’s idea of a good time. However, staying active and getting outside in the winter is important for your emotional and physical health. In fact, time outdoors has been shown to increase energy levels and support stress relief. So, let’s get out there and go for it…weather permitting, of course!
Here's a checklist to help you stay active safely this season:
- Check the temperature. According to the National Safety Council, if the temperature is 20 degrees or higher with a low wind chill factor, it’s safe to exercise outside as long as you’re properly dressed.
- Layer up. Wearing several thin layers you can easily take off instead of one heavy layer is key for safe and comfortable winter exercise. Breathable fabrics such as wool, polyester, and fleece are the best options to stay insulated and dry. Oh, and don’t forget to grab a hat and gloves!
- Set the timer. If you aren’t used to outdoor workouts, you might want to start with shorter amounts of time. Pay close attention to your body. Taking breaks to return to the warmth for a few minutes is encouraged.
- Decide on an activity that fits YOU. While skiing and snowboarding are sure to burn off those calories, there are many other ways to stay active this season. If you aren’t sure what to do, try these:
- Ice Skating
- Shoveling (yes, this counts)
- Track your steps at myCigna to earn cash! Don’t forget that SchoolCare subscribers, covered spouses, and 65+ participants can earn up to $400 per plan year with Good For You! Wellness programs through Apps & Activities. Simply log into your account at myCigna.com and navigate to the Apps & Activities section under your Wellness programs. Watch the video linked above for an introductory tutorial.