The Pulse of SchoolCare, April 2022
April is the Perfect Time to Blast Unwanted Stress From Your Life
Published April 12, 2022
Stress is a normal part of our everyday lives, and while some stress is good, prolonged stress can negatively impact your health by contributing to unwanted weight gain, causing headaches or resulting in developing conditions like heart disease and diabetes. Being able to recognize stress and having the tools to help combat it are critical to building the resilience you need to manage life’s challenges as they come.
There are ways your SchoolCare health benefits can help you combat stress.
Call On Your Employee Assistance Program.
- Your EAP offers a number of benefits not only for you, but for anyone living in your home at no added cost. Each individual in your household is eligible for three visits per year, per issue with an EAP counselor for things like assessments, short-term counseling and referrals for additional support. You can learn more by logging into your myCigna account and clicking Employee Assistance Program in the “Coverages” menu. Or call 1-877-622-4327 anytime day or night. Your EAP Employer ID is SchoolCare.
- This SchoolCare Snippet will help you navigate the EAP Program on the myCigna website for managing stress.
- Check out the “Managing Stress Toolkit” in the dropdown menu under “Behavioral Health Resources.” Learn more about practicing mindfulness, how to assess your stress and strengthen your coping skills.
- Listen to on-demand webinars from Cigna’s EAP Webcast series and learn strategies for handling stress. Check out Stress and Our Perceptions and/or Stress Relief: Train Your Brain. If you haven’t yet self-reported healthy events for the fourth quarter of the Good For You! Well-Being Program, you could earn $25 for watching and reporting one of these webinars on myCigna.com.
Overcome Stress and Earn Cash
In your myCigna account under the “Wellness” menu, click on stress for the all stress-related activities you can earn incentives for completing. Here are a few ways to earn $150 in incentives.
Complete the “Keep Stress in Check” online health coaching activity ($50)
During the four-week Keep Stress in Check activity, you’ll set a plan to better manage stress and take steps to make it happen.
Use Apps and Activities to blast away stress ($50 each)
- Set a goal to meditate – choose your target in minutes and days per week to meditate. Log your activity and earn stars to complete your goal.
- Make an effort to connect with a friend or family member - Choose one person to call or meet in person and set your frequency goal to earn your stars and complete your goal.
Simply Need Some Quick Stress Relief? Have a Laugh.
Laughing can decrease your cortisol, epinephrine and dopamine levels, and help blast away feelings of anger, stress and frustration. It can simultaneously increase your endorphin levels. Need a good laugh? Check out these SchoolCare staff recommendations for what makes us laugh when we have just a few minutes or a half hour or more.