The Pulse of SchoolCare, March 2021
Mental Health: Building your well-being toolbox
Published March 1, 2021
Being mentally healthy doesn’t mean you don’t experience emotional challenges or behavioral health concerns. Emotional health can be measured by how we respond to these inevitable life stressors. Anyone can suffer from emotional turmoil– and throughout life’s changes, most of us will. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), one in every 5 adults has a mental health condition. You aren’t alone and it’s never too late to develop a personal well-being toolbox.
What is a well-being toolbox?
A well-being toolbox contains action items to help yourself stay mentally well. It can include things you have done in the past or even what you want to try adding to your health care routine. Here are some ways to get started:
- Utilize your Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Your EAP program provides work/life services for you, and everyone in your household that support total health such as:
- Elder care
- Family/relationship and more!
With your EAP program, you can access these resources at myCigna.com or schedule a phone consultation with a licensed professional by calling 877-622-4327 (use the Employer ID SchoolCare). We also highly recommend checking out the available free EAP on-demand and live wellness webcasts. Upcoming webcast topics include rebuilding your finances and stress relief.
- Consider what helps you feel stronger and more hopeful. Are you someone who likes to journal? Or do you enjoy stress reduction exercises like meditation and yoga? Any activities/hobbies that help you simply feel good are a wonderful addition to your toolbox.
- Make healthy activity part of your day. Building healthy eating, sleeping, and exercise habits is key when it comes to mental resilience. If it seems overwhelming to focus on all three at once, remember that small obtainable changes are all you need to get started. You also have access to free telephonic and online health coaching with your Good For You! Wellness programs (Psst...don’t forget you can also earn cash incentives for this).
- Know that you can always talk to someone. Social connection is a powerful resource to add to your toolbox. Whether it’s calling up a loved one or reaching out to a licensed therapist, embracing open conversation can make a big difference in the way we feel. Visit myCigna.com for details on your mental health coverage and/or find a provider.